Similarization: Toward a Narrow Mind

I remember the first time I realized that Amazon knew my interests (If you like this book, you may like…).    Wow! I thought, Amazon knows me!  As time moved on, I found other online sites that recognized my interests.  I have found twitter a great tool for creating a personal learning network.  Lately, I have seen many people similar to me pop up, along with the suggestion of “who to follow.”  What a great way to share ideas and build a community across distance.

And the same idea leads me to consider RSS newsfeeds and blogs.  But, consider this-  if each of us continues to click on the follow button when something is similar to our way of thinking, don’t we move more and more toward narrowmindedness?  One of my favorite child developmental psychologists, Lev Vygotsky, believed that we learn in collision with others.  We learn best by meeting a challenging point of view, not by narrowing our outlooks and surrounding ourselves with our own point of view.

Where will this lead?  Who knows?!  But- please- disagree with me and teach me something.  The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.