Crowd Sourced Ebook

As I build a global professional network, I am grateful for the opportunity to meet colleagues (mostly virtually but sometimes physically) who struggle with the same obstacles in this fast-paced techno world. Having recently read and posted about the pessimistic outlook for the future (Nicholas Carr, Sherry Turkle, and James Gleick- all excellent reads), it is refreshing to collaborate with others who are hopeful about teaching the next generation of learners.  Two school library media specialists, Kristin Fontichiaro and Buffy Hamilton, are currently working on a crowd-sourced ebook for school  librarians with the goal of seeking best practices for 21st century learning.  I submitted a chapter proposal on virtual worlds in libraries, which is just one of the possibilities for new literacy formats.

What an intriguing example of new and exciting publishing opportunities! Writing, along with all traditional communication formats, is changing.  In my school library, I am currently presented with the opportunity to teach writing strategies with 4th graders.  I hope to share with them the excitement of new and innovative writing opportunities but also remind them of what all good writers have done in the past: write about what they know, what they are passionate about, take risks and try new genres, and revise, revise, revise.

With digital formats, like digital storytelling or blogging, revision seems different than with a pen.  The idea of digital revision is new territory.  I think watching the crowd-source ebook grow and change online is an example of taking a risk in a new form.  Collaborative digital revision-  I like that!